Friday January 20th, 2012 17:29 Alien (1979)

Now, I know what you’re thinking. Why the heck am I writing about a classic that you’ve seen quite a few times? Well, I’ve got a couple of reasons.

Number One, when that Prometheus trailer came out it really got me jonesing to watch the origin content of what this movie is going to be like. Some people are saying this will be a direct prequel to Alien, some say it’s taking place in the same universe, and some say it has nothing to do with Alien at all. What I do know is that the same spacecrafts are in both films and the deliberate title sequence copy in the Prometheus trailer tells me they are connected.

Number Two, I bought this bad-boy on blu-ray for 13 buckaroos. It is incredible. To see how a classic, like this one, holds to the test of time is awesome. The clarity is unbelievable and the sound effects are top notch. My only gripe is the dialogue sounded a little pitchy, but whatevs.

I hate to sound like an old man, but they just don’t make sci-fi horror movies like this anymore. I really can’t think of a movie from the last five years that I know will be an instant classic…(Sunshine, maybe? No.) It was a great movie that I will probably watch a couple of more times before Prometheus comes out this summer.

Beeteedubs, I’ve never really thought of Sigourney Weaver as sexy at all, but those last scenes before she has that final sequence with the Alien… boy oh boy, she was mighty sexy in those tiny underwears.

6 Comments on “Alien (1979)”

• friends of p January 20, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Talking about classics is always great, ain’t no shame in it. Classic sci-fi within the last 5 years…. maybe Star Trek.. inception… Wall-E. As for Sigourney Weaver, her role in Alien is bested only by her roles in the Ghostbuster movies.

• neverbesocial January 20, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I was talking about Sci-fi Horror films, not Sci-fi movies in general.

• friends of p January 27, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Interesting, I never considered Alien in the horror department. I guess it is a thriller and can be scary. Genre classification is a murky beast, Zombieland could fit into this category, Sci-fi Comedy Horror Drama Romance Tale with a coming of age twist

• pml January 20, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I’d have to say that the horror (sci-fi or not) genre as a whole is kind of weak lately. Shit may be gorier these days with better effects but the pacing and atmosphere in a lot of them leaves much to be desired.A lot of rehashing and what not.

General sci-fi movies, however, haven’t suffered as badly.

• pml January 20, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I def need to pick this movie up on blu-ray.

Comment Form